Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Prayer Posture

In our daily quiet time, should posture be important? Our quiet time is typically a time of more formal prayer -- not in the sense of formal language, but of having a scheduled time and place, a sense of structure for our prayer time.

Our morning prayer sets the tone for theday, a prayer of worship, confession and surrender. Does the Lord care whether we sit or stand or walk or kneel? He has shown me that in my life, at least, sometimes He does.

For years, I prayed in the shower, and in my favorite chair. Then one day, I read an article by a man who realized he never knelt to pray. It bothered him, until one day he simply had to kneel -- and he's spent part of his prayer time on his knees ever since.

Like him, I couldn't get the idea out of my mind, until one day I felt I had to begin my prayers with at least a brief time on my knees. It became important for me to kneel to surrender my life, then the rest of the day, I could feel more comfortable praying wherever I was, aware that I had honored the Lord in a special way.

I knew when it first became important to the Lord that I begin my day on my knees,
because He wouldn't let me put that thought out of my mind. I think it had something to do with pride.

Pray with me now — Lord, You may not want everyone to kneel in prayer every day. But if it would please You in any of our lives, help us to do it, in Jesus’ name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment