Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Praying Out Loud

Is it necessary to pray out loud?

Of course it isn’t necessary; the Lord knows our thoughts [Psalm 139:2]. But until we are comfortable praying with others, we will miss an incredible blessing in our lives -- and those we love will miss the joy of hearing our prayers for them. 

Praying aloud can be intimidating for people who were not raised to do it from childhood. I still remember the first time I was put on the spot. It was at the beginning of a study course on prayer, and the leader asked us to break into small groups to pray. It came my turn, and I couldn't do it. Silence. 

Deafening silence from me. 

Fortunately, someone understood and jumped in with his prayer. I was left embarrassed and uncomfortable, feeling totally out of place. I wouldn't have come back, if I hadn't wanted to learn to pray so badly. I just hadn't planned to learn to pray out loud. But I finally did. 

We were six weeks into the course before I said even a brief prayer that someone else could hear.

Toward the end of the course, I heard someone pray for me by name for the first time in my life, and I was deeply touched. I began to realize how important it can be for others to hear our prayers -- not because we’re praying for their benefit or understanding, not because they’re impressed by the words we use, but because our prayers reveal how deeply we care. 

Pray with me now — Lord, help us lose our self-consciousness, that we may learn what a joy it can be to pray with others. We ask in Jesus’ name. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment